Other Libraries in Glasgow
We have a great library here at RCS, but it may be useful to you to know about other libraries in Glasgow that you can use for comfortable study-space.
· You can become a member of the public libraries here, which means you can borrow materials and use their electronic resources as well as our own.
· Local university libraries can also be used for study-space or to consult their stock; additionally, research students have some borrowing privileges (see below).
Glasgow Life (Public Libraries)
You can register with Glasgow Libraries online, and their 24/7 online research materials complement our own. Notably, they subscribe to Proquest, which gives great subject access to the world of knowledge. You have to be a registered reader to access their online resources.
Glasgow has 32 community libraries including a lending section in the Mitchell. The Mitchell itself is a large city library with extensive resources and study space. You will also find warm, comfortable study-space in the community libraries.
Which libraries are near a subway or train station?
- Anniesland Library – Anniesland Train Station
- Baillieston Library – Easterhouse Train Station
- Barmulloch Library
- Bridgeton Library – Bridgeton Train Station
- Cardonald Library
- Castlemilk Library
- Couper Institute – Cathcart Train Station
- Dennistoun Library – Bellgrove Train Station
- Drumchapel Library – Drumchapel Train Station (not very near)
- Elder Park Library - Govan
- Gorbals Library – Bridge Street
- Govanhill Library – Queen’s Park Train Station
- Hillhead Library - Hillhead
- Ibrox Library - Cessnock
- Knightswood Library – Garscadden or Scotstounhill Train Station
- Langside Library – Mount Florida or Langside Train Station
- Leisure and Lifestyle @ The Mitchell – St George’s Cross (10 mins walk), Charing Cross or Anderston Train Stations
- Library at GoMA – Buchanan Street
- Library at The Bridge
- Maryhill Library – St George’s Cross (20 mins walk) or Maryhill Train Station (2 miles away)
- Milton Library
- Parkhead Library
- Partick Library – Partick or Kelvinhall, or Partick Train Station
- Pollok Library
- Pollokshaws Library – Pollokshaws West Train Station
- Pollokshields Library - Pollokshields East and Pollokshields West Train Stations
- Possilpark Library – Possilpark, Parkhouse or Ashfield Train Stations.
- Riddrie Library
- Royston Library
- Shettleston Library – Carntyne Train Station
- Springburn Library – Springburn Train Station
- Whiteinch Library
- Woodside Library – St George’s Cross or Charing Cross Train Station
University Libraries and the National Library of Scotland
- Scottish students can study in any Scottish University Library - be sure to take your RCS ID card with you - and research students can borrow through a facility called Sconul Access
- Glasgow Caledonian University: GCU Library atSaltire Centre Buchanan Street or Cowcaddens, also Glasgow Queen Street Train Station
- Glasgow School of Art - Cowcaddens
- Glasgow University Library – Hillhead
- Strathclyde University Library (TheAndersonian) – Buchanan Street, or High Street or Queen Street Train Stations
- University of the West of Scotland – Paisley Train Station
- National Library at Kelvin Hall (Access their electronic resources on-site) - Kelvinhall (or visit the National Library of Scotland on George IV Bridge, Edinburgh)
The information in this blogpost is also available via the Library pages on the RCS Portal (Virtual Learning Environment).